Methyl Methacrylate Adhesives
Our range of methyl methacrylate adhesives (also called MMA adhesives) inclcues the SAF methalcrylates from AEC Polymers. We also stock the MS Polymer® Black Mamba range which excels where elastic construction joints are required.
SAF methyl methacrylate adhesives from AEC Polymers - the new generation of methalcrylate (MMA adhesives) structural adhesives incorporating nano-technology from the Arkema Group.
The SAF products are available as:
- SAF30 – in 5, 15 and 45mins handling time.
- SAF30 MIB - Metal Impact Bonding. A 60% elongation version for bonding metal to composites.
- SAF30 LOT - Long Open Time. For bonding large structures such as hull/deck or windblades.
- SAF150 - 150% elongation for bonding composites to plastics (thermoplastics).
Compared to other MMAs, the world-patented SAF range offers:
- Higher Lap Shear Strength
- No SAG at all on vertical surfaces
- Retains all of its properties between -40°C and 180°C
- Offers M1/F1 fire accreditation
- No primer required
SAF vs Epoxy head to head
|Primerless adhesion on a wide variety of substrates||Requires surface pre-treatment||No sandblasting and primer is needed|
|Modulus||>10 N/mm2||2-15 N/mm2|
|Elongation||<5%||30 - 400%|
|Bond strength (LSS)||15-30 N/mm2||5-25 N/mm2|
|Temperature resistance||-40°C - 120°C||-40°C - 150°C|
|Weather resistance and general durability||Excellent||Excellent|
|UV-resistant (non-yellowing, non-cracking)||Yellowing under sunlight or UV||Excellent in UV and sunlight resistance|
|Shrinkage after cured||<1%||<1%|
|Curing speed||Slow in curing, needs 48hrs for full cure||Can acheive 80% of full strength within 2 hours|
As well as the high lap shear strength offered by the SAF range, the other advantages are:
- 80% of mechanical properties after 2 hours
- Lower specific gravity than epoxy, so a lighter joint
- No post-cure required
- SAF can be sanded and painted directly
MS Polymer® (Black Mamba/MS60 FHG etc)
MS Polymer is a highly elastic, high-strength sealant and adhesive. It offers the best all round sealant and adhesive on the market, and excels where elastic construction joints are required.
It is odourless, neutral and free of isocyanates. MS Polymer is mostly compared to PU adhesives:
|Shear strength||Max 1.7 MPa (with primer)||2.5-2.7 MPa (no primer)|
|Curing||2-3mm per 24 hours||5mm per 24 hours|
- 1-p PU needs primer, MS Polymer doesn’t.
- MS has no solvents, so no MSDS required.
- You can paint over MS Polymer after a few minutes.
- MS Polymer has a high fire and smoke reference M1/F1.
- MS has no odour, so can be used inside a boat etc
- On metal, including Al, just clean with T700 cleaner.
- On GRP, best to abrade and clean with T700. Even better to use after removing peel-ply.
We are the UK Composite distributors for the AEC Polymers range of structural adhesives and sealants. AEC Polymers are a part of the global Arkema Group.