Methyl Methacrylate Adhesives
Our range of methyl methacrylate adhesives (also called MMA adhesives) inclcues the SAF methalcrylates from AEC Polymers. We also stock the MS Polymer® Black Mamba range which excels where elastic construction joints are required.
SAF methyl methacrylate adhesives from AEC Polymers - the new generation of methalcrylate (MMA adhesives) structural adhesives incorporating nano-technology from the Arkema Group.
The SAF products are available as:
- SAF30 – in 5, 15 and 45mins handling time.
- SAF30 MIB - Metal Impact Bonding. A 60% elongation version for bonding metal to composites.
- SAF30 LOT - Long Open Time. For bonding large structures such as hull/deck or windblades.
- SAF150 - 150% elongation for bonding composites to plastics (thermoplastics).
Compared to other MMAs, the world-patented SAF range offers:
- Higher Lap Shear Strength
- No SAG at all on vertical surfaces
- Retains all of its properties between -40°C and 180°C
- Offers M1/F1 fire accreditation
- No primer required
SAF vs Epoxy head to head
|Primerless adhesion on a wide variety of substrates||Requires surface pre-treatment||No sandblasting and primer is needed|
|Modulus||>10 N/mm2||2-15 N/mm2|
|Elongation||<5%||30 - 400%|
|Bond strength (LSS)||15-30 N/mm2||5-25 N/mm2|
|Temperature resistance||-40°C - 120°C||-40°C - 150°C|
|Weather resistance and general durability||Excellent||Excellent|
|UV-resistant (non-yellowing, non-cracking)||Yellowing under sunlight or UV||Excellent in UV and sunlight resistance|
|Shrinkage after cured||<1%||<1%|
|Curing speed||Slow in curing, needs 48hrs for full cure||Can acheive 80% of full strength within 2 hours|
As well as the high lap shear strength offered by the SAF range, the other advantages are:
- 80% of mechanical properties after 2 hours
- Lower specific gravity than epoxy, so a lighter joint
- No post-cure required
- SAF can be sanded and painted directly
We are the UK Composite distributors for the AEC Polymers range of structural adhesives and sealants. AEC Polymers are a part of the global Arkema Group.